Question
Posted by: cb | 2008/10/08

clomid

I have a " regular"  irregular menstrual cycle of 33-35 days.I ovulate, but we dont think regularly. currently on clomid day 5-9 (2nd month). I would like to know : should my period now be regular being on Clomid (28 days - ovulate day 14) or can it still be irregular? Because i have not started yet and i am on day 33 already. I did a hpt on monday and it was neg. I used the ovulation detection kit this month and it showed i ovulated day 9-10. Is this possible? Anyway, i have very sensitive nipples for the last week, which i NEVER have, and feel nauseous now and then. Could something else possibly be wrong? What should my next course of action be? Becoming a little despondent.

Dear CB

If you are achieving ovulation on Clomid, then on Clomid usually the cycle should be shortened to a 28-day cycle and ovulation will probably take place on around day 14. However this is not always the case and it may vary from one individual to the next. If you are not sure whether ovulation is taking place or not or if ovulation is taking place earlier and there is some confusion about that, then the better option is to assess for follicular development while on Clomid. This will mean undergoing serial ultrasound examination and actually examine the size of the follicle as it is growing. Your gynaecologist or fertility specialist will then be able to ascertain exactly if and when ovulation is then taking place.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo