Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2009/10/26

Q.

Clinique or environ

I' m 34-years old and the only skin " problem"  I have is pigmentation from using oral contraceptive - my doctor didn' t advice me to use sunblock with it. When advised by another GP that it is was caused by this I started using it constantly and don' t go out in the sun without it. I' ve used environ in the past and for a change decided to use clinique' s superdefence. It is almost finished and I can' t decide if I should go back on environ. In your prof. opinion which one would you prefer to use

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer as there is no ‘best’ cream on the market today. Every person reacts differently to topical creams and the ‘best’ cream is the one that your skin responds to the most.

Generally speaking certain ingredients have found to benefit certain skin conditions including pigmentation. Hormonally induced pigmentation which is known as Melasma may be difficult to treat with topical products only and you may have to consider some form of skin rejuvenation technology (Fraxel, Matrix RF, Ultrapulse FX, etc.).

Ingredients that will benefit the treatment of pigmentation are as follows:
SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin E
Glycolic acid, citric acid, and mandelic acid
Arbutin, licorice extract, bearberry extract, mulberry extract
Hydroquinone

Furthermore big brand products such as Clinique do not contain high enough active ingredients to make impressive improvements and considering you may have Melasma your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner with a special interest in pigmentation to get treatment advice.

I am a firm believer in NeoStrata products due to the active ingredients they use however this is a personal bias and you can find similar ingredients in Environ, Nimue, etc.

My approach to treating Melasma is as follows:

NeoStrata Glycolic acid peel with citric acid booster pads
NeoStrata Pigment Lightening Gel and Brightening Cream SPF 15
Heliocare Gel SPF 50 (applied several times daily)
Skin rejuvenation technology (Syneron eMax)

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009/10/31

Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin E
Hydroquinone

Reply to anti-ageing expert

Want to comment?