Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2008/10/08

Clinical / Counselling Psychologist

Doc,
What is the difference between a Clinical and Counselling Psychologist ? I see many psychologists are listed as counselling and others as clinical.. is there a difference?

There used to be rather major distinctions and differences in training, but these seem to be getting smaller. On the whole, I'd expect both types to be fine for counselling ; the clinical psychologist would have worked more with sychiatric illnesses ( severe Depression, Schizophrenia, whatver, rather than problems in living more typically dealt with by counselling, and would probably have had more experience of psychological aspects of physical illnesses. If one's problem was more in the line of unhelpful habits of thought or behaviour, I'd prefer to check whether the psychologist, of whatever complexion, provided Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) the most scientifically validated method shown to be effective and with lasting benefits.