Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2010/02/25

Clingy toddler

My son of 28 months has in the last 2 weeks become extremely clingy to me. There was a huge storm one evening and I was out and my husband had to calm him down. Since then he follows me around, tells me he wants to come with me where ever I go - even if it''s to the kitchen to cook etc. Even bed time is a problem., I used to be able to put him down and walk out - now I have to sit with him until he falls asleep.

How can I help him get over this issue as it''s exhausting for me and I feel so sad that he''s lost his confidence.

Hallo Jojo
This can still be normal behaviour for his age group and you just need to be patient with him - comfort him but also tell him when you are leaving and when you will be back. Put him to bed, and assure him that you will look in every 5 minutes until he is asleep - then lenghten the time inbetween until he is fine to go to bed alone again.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/26

Hallo Jojo
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc