Posted by: Enthusiast | 2009-01-20

Climbing stairs

Hi, Doc
I' m trying to encourage all my colleages at work to use stairs instead of always using elevators. I was thinking about putting signs at the elevators that will make them think twice.

Could you please help in incorporating about 10 interesting reasons OR facts why we must take the stairs, for ex. 2 stairs/second for 10 minutes a day will burn 300kJ that = 1 slice of bread, OR climbing stairs fast for 20 min/day will reduce your risk of heart disease by 3%.

I' m looking for something in the line of the examples that will realy convince them. The more science based the facts, the better!!

Dear Enthusiast
What a good idea! It is difficult to calculate how much energy people will use up when climbing stairs as this depends on a wide variety of factors (body weight, speed, number of stairs climbed, etc). An average individual uses about 2.54 kJ per kg of body weight per 10 min when climbing stairs. So a 70 kg man will expend 178 kJ per 10 min of stair climbing, which is not a lot (about the amount of kJ in a medium-sized apple, but it is the repetition that does the trick over time).
I can think of the following reasons to climb stairs:
1) Get active to lose weight 2) Increase your blood circulation 3) Increase your lung capacity 4) Stimulate sluggish metabolism 5) Improve muscle strength 6) Avoid claustrophobia! 7) Improve heart function
Hope this helps and good luck with this worthwhile endeavour
Let me know how it goes!