client underweight

i am a trainer and would like suggestions in my client picking up weight without knowing that she is due to her not wanting to pick up as she thinks she is fat, but her BMI is 18.8? HELP

Dear Reader
I agree that your client needs to increase her weight as a BMI of 18,8 is far too low. If I understand you correctly, you would like her to gain some weight without her knowing about it as she is convinced that she is fat. This immediately sets alarm bells ringing in my mind. I suspect that your client may suffer from anorexia or another eating disorder and what she actually needs is to obtain assistance from a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), and a clinical psychologist. Try and persuade her to see a dietitian - give her a reason such as improving her lean body mass, so that she can take the first steps towards treatment of her anorexia. You can't really do anything else, because if you suggest that she takes a liquid meal supplement with a high energy content, she will just refuse. The thing is to get her to realise that she has a problem and to seek professional help for it.
Holding thumbs that you can help your client.

I was anorexic for 8 years. If l can give any advice that would be to refuse to train her on the basis that you dont think it is healthy. I dont know exactly how bad she is, but if she has a BMI of 18 and still thinks she' s fat, then clearly she is on a slippery slope.If you can speak to the authority at the gym, try and persuade them to either cancel her contract, again on the basis that it is a risk for them to take responsibility for her, or they could " flag"  her and if they see her doing too much they take appropriate action. I know you are trying to get to her to be lean etc but the fact of the matter is that if she is starving herself , she could have a number of problems (heart etc) that no one knows about and if, God forbid, something happens to her while you are training her, then fingers will point at you.
Trust me on this, excercise is a symptom of her problem, l was totally obsessed and still am but l eat and l am not underweight.
It really upsets me when l see skinny girls in the gym overdoing it, l cant beleive that the gym even lets them in as l was not allowd in any of the Virgin' s ot Planet Fitness until my BMI was 20. Dont underestimate how obsessive people can be. Its a scary illness and l dont think it needs encouragement in the form of excercise. She must sort out her head, once that is done, healthy excercise can follow. Trust me, l have a load of experience with this.