Posted by: christelle | 2009-01-18

cleft palate kitten

pls if there is anyone that rised a kitten with a cleft palate pls give me some advise,i tube fed,bottle but can only give milk,can only go for a operation on 4 months,pls help,i love my kitty so much,is ther a special teet or what else can i do,it is so sad.

Dear Christelle

Most cats with a bit cleft palate have a very poor prognoses but if the cleft is not big you should be able to manage with a normal teat of syringe feeding.

Posted by: christelle | 2009-01-19

thank you, much appreciated, any suggestions will help,while typing she' s lyiing in my shirt fast asleep

Reply to christelle
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-18

If you can get milk into him , I wonder if you could get hill' s ad into him???

Its just a thought , but I had a cat witha broken jaw who couldnt eat at all , and I fed her hills AD with a syringe.

The food is soft enogh .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-18

It seems that cleft palates are sometimes only a minor thing, and sometimes major, and the likelihood of the kitten' s survival depends very much on each individual case. So it' s hard to provide you with advice, other than to talk to your vet IN DETAIL about what you should do. It sounds to me as though you' ve already had the kitten evaluated, and decided that it should undergo surgery when it' s old enough - but now your vet needs to give you a tailor-made plan for raising the kitten until the operation can take place.

Best of luck.

Reply to Chill