Question
Posted by: Pam | 2008/09/15

Cleft palate?

I' m interested in buying an english buldog, but the one i' m interested in has a cleft palate. The vet did not see the need to " put the puppy out"  and the puppy is starting to eat normally now. It' s six weeks old. It really is the most adorable puppy! I just want to know what I can expect if I buy it, will I have a lot of trouble with the puppy? And also: do puppies with cleft palates tend to suffer? Can a cleft palate heal normally?

Dear Pam

Puppies with severe cleft palates are normally put to sleep as they can't feed. The milk just runs out through the nose and the can't get good suction. If the puppy made six weeks the chances or a normal life is good. If the cleft palate causes any problems this can be corrected with surgery.