Question
Posted by: Murray | 2010-01-21

Clear Semen

Hi Doctor,

I have noticed recently that my sperm is not as ' cloudy'  and ' thick'  as it used to be. Since I have noticed this I have seen that there is even clear fluid in some parts while still having the white cloudy parts in others (before it was thick, white and completely coudy). I would assume that the white cloudy area is the fertile part? Does this mean a low sperm count? Or can sperm still be found in the clear part? There is still what I consider to be a large total volume of fluid produced however.

I am a 25 year old male. I am currently not trying to concieve but I am a little concerned now that I have realised this. Should I be worried and get it checked out. I wouldn' t know where to start if that is the case. Another thing is that i did get a rather big hit to the testes playing cricket a few months ago. i did see a doctor to have it checked out and he told me that testes are rather strong and should be fine as long as they didn' t get twisted.

Kind Regards,

from Cape Town

Dear Murray

I certainly would recommend that you have a semen analysis done as soon as possible. The change in consistency of the seminal fluid may be in indication of changes in prostatic of seminal vesicle function, which may have a direct influence on sperm function. The semen analysis can be done at any large laboratory by prior arrangement and simply involves the collection of a semen specimen in a receptacle, which will then be analysed at the laboratory. For optimal results it is best to abstain from intercourse for 3-5 days prior to the sperm teat being done.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-01-26

Dear Murray

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Daniel | 2010-01-22

Hi!

I am 27 years old. The same thing happens to me if I masturbate and ejaculate everyday...

If I do not masturbate and ejaculate for a week or so, my semen becomes thick/chunky and pure white again.

Reply to Daniel