Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2011/05/04

Cleansing diet and headache

Dear Doc

I started the 5 day cleansing diet (found on this website) yesterday.

It excludes wheat, diary, caffeine, alcohol, fatty proteien and refined sugar.
It includes lots of fresh fruit and veggies and low fat proteien.

This morning at 04h00 I woke up with a excrutiating headache. It is really very very painful and nothing seems to help.

Could this be because of the diet?

Kind regards
M

Dear Mandy
If you suffer from low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) then it is not a good idea to go on any diet that could lower your blood sugar levels drastically. Headaches can also be caused by caffeine-withdrawal. However, in view of your reaction to this diet, I would recommend that you stop using it immediately. There is no harm in cutting out alcohol of 5 days and eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, but also include some wholegrains, breads and cereals to ensure that your blood sugar levels don't drop to levels that can cause headaches. Cut down on your coffee intake gradually 1 cup less a day, until you are down to 2-3 cups a day.
I do hope the headache has improved. If it should persist for longer, please see a medical doctor for a checkup because you could be suffering from some other problem that is not related to the diet, but which requires treatment.

1

Dear Mandy