Question
Posted by: fitnesss wannabe | 2010-04-04

cleanse diet question

Hi diet doc,

I eat healthy, and sometimes I do overindulge seeing my family LOVE to eat - we allready talk about our next meal, while we are eating our current meal ( similar to italian, but proudly south-african :) ). I am the only daughter in 5 kids and my borthers devour food like barbarians but keep it off with fast metabolism, I am not so lucky and I have been cooking my own meals since 2 years ago. But I am struggling to loose weight as I struggled with bulimia most of my school years and really messed up my metabolism. I really eat healthy and balanced and I excercise with no funny diets pills involved, just the basic dieting rules of balance, health and excercise.
I want to try and shock my body out of this plataue it has reached but I am afraid I might mess my metabolism up and would like to know your opinion on my plan of action:
I have read tha watercress soup is a good cleansing soup and thought that if I eat healthy one week and eat watercress soup as main meals ( only!.. with water and fruit as snacks) the other it might help with weight loss. My BMI is currently 25.6 and I really just want to feel comfortable in my clothes and maybe get it down to 21 bmi... nothing too crazy.
I go to the gym 3 times a week 45min and I do boxing cardio at home on my boxing bag about twice a week.

please let me know what you think about the soup alternating healthy diet?? will this slow my metabolism or would it be fine?
Thankyou

Dear Fitness Wannabe
Because you have struggled with the eating disorder of bulimia in the past, I would be hesitant to approve any dietary regimen that deviates from a normal, but energy-reduce diet for you to lose weight. Eating watercress soup for a week would probably not be harmful, but if this triggers other deviant eating behaviours you could land up with bulimia again, which is something that you don't need in your life right now. Rather use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), for 30 or more minutes a day. Rather safe than sorry.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-04-06

Dear Fitness Wannabe
Take care