Question
Posted by: Annie | 2010/01/14

Clarity on response to 4476

Hi Doctor

I am sorry to bother you again.

I refer to question 4476 " Confusion over HIV test results" . Thank you for responding to my question, I am still a little confused and was wondering if you would be able to clear something up for me.

You say that the labs always do 2 tests, the test I had done was at an Ampath lab, would they also do two tests? What I am concerned about is that even though the result says non-reactive the comments says that the ELISA was reactive for HIV and they recommend further testing for confirmation through either a Western Blot test or somtehing else which I can' t remember. My question is why would they recommend further testing via Western Blot test in the comment if they did both an ELISA and Western Blot in the first place to come out with a non-reactive result?

I am sorry to be pedantic but I am a confused and quite concerned?

My second test 3 months later said negative but this was done through Lancet labs and was 4th Generation Abbott which came back negative.

Thanks for your help.

Hallo Annie
They should actually do the Elisa and WB together if the screening test shows a reactive result. Fourth generation (4th gen) HIV tests simultaneously detect p24 Ag and anti-HIV-1/2 Ab. Their major advantage over 3(rd) gen HIV antibody only assays is the earlier detection of primary HIV infections.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/14

Hallo Annie

Reply to cyberdoc