Posted by: Johan | 2011-04-18

Claire gel for horses, what is the side effects, need help urgent

My GF is using claire gel for horses now for 3weeks to loose weight. But in the 3weeks she had a complete change, moodyness, shaking dont eat she forgets stuff. This turned our whole household around and we at a point we not even talking to each other. She takes more every week and only rest like 1 day in the week. I would like to get medical advise what is the side effects of this steriod and what does it do? I have to show her that its not good for her.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Johan,
I think I responded to your private email yesterday. Taking steroids can certainly lend to mood changes and behaviuoural changes, and cannot be condoned as a weight loss strategy. I do suggest that you employ family members to all sit down with her and voice their concerns and that your GF needs to seek some medical advice on the dangers associated with the use. I cannot condone any medications that are used for weight loss that are not supervised by a reputable medical professional. Ideally, she shouldn't need to be taking steroids at all, and merely eating and exercising moderately. I do not know your GF's weight and height, so am not sure whether she is also being unrealistic in trying to lose weight. Speak to your GF in a compassionate manner, but be honest in your concern. It might be helpful if you both go to her GP for some professional advice.