Posted by: Kenny | 2009-01-19

CLA supplement

I' m 55 years old and was told to take CLA' s to help with weight loss. I have just started gym and my wife uses the power plate. Are these suppliments safe to take? I was also told never to take them without exercise? How much exercise do i need to do to take these safely? Also is this safe to take with other medication?

Thanks Kenny

Dear Kenny
There are some indications that conjugated linoleic acid or CLA can help with weightloss, but the research is still in the relatively early stages, so I cannot say if it will promote weightloss or not and what level of exercise you need to do. I have not heard that it is potentially harmful unless you do exercise, but we are still waiting for more concrete research results to answer these questions. If you are worried, rather just use a sensible diet and exercise to lose that weight. You should check with your pharmacist if CLA interacts with the specific medications you take.

Posted by: Talita | 2009-01-19

I am a student dietitian in my 2nd year at Potchefstroom University. This past year we spoke about CLA in Nutrition, we were told that it is a complete hoax. It showed to be effective only to mice, there was absolutely no change or proof whatsoever that this can benefit weight loss in humans. Often this is only a money making scheme - as people are very gullable, I myself even used it and found zero benefit. CLA is a fatty acid still containing 38kJ per gram (compared to 17kJ per gram protein or Ccarbohydrate, and 29kJ per gram alcohol) which is found in beef and eggs etc naturally. I don' t know what diet doc would say, but that' s what we were taught in class Sept 2008.
My personal advice for effective weight loss would be a balanced meal - fist size portion meat, carbohydrate and two veggies. Lots of fiber and water, alternating between cardio the one day and weight training on other days with a change in intensity in both. Supplements are not really nessesary. Meal replacements work well though when you cannot make a good food choice. Hope you come right and that I' m giving you correct information here!

Reply to Talita