Question
Posted by: Jan | 2008/07/24

CKD MVP and Arestin

My dental hygienist has recommended that I have Arestin administered to three pockets in the gum surrounding a pre molar and molar. This is used to kill bacteria, reduce the size of the pockets, etc. I' m having trouble finding literature about the affects on patients who have chronic kidney disease and mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. I' m also on HBP medication and Zocor. The only information I find is that disseminated by the OraPharma, Inc. company makers of Arestin. Can you shed any light on this medication (minocycline hydrochloride) Arestin Microspheres.
Thank you.

Hallo Jan
Minocyclin is an antibiotic and would probably be a useful treatment for someone with chronic kidney disease and mitral valve prolapse, as infection around the gums is a source for blood borne bacteria that can cause heart valve infection (endocarditis) and kidney infection ( pyelonephritis) - both serious diseases.