Posted by: Bubu | 2009-09-22

City 2 City

Hi Doc,

whats the typical nutrition before ultra marathons?

Hi Bubu

Typically, high carbohydrate diets for a week leading into the race. Actually, science has shown that it takes about 3 days of high carb diets to top up your muscle stores of glycogen, which is what you need to get you through the race most effectively. There is some debate around this, but the principle is to maximize the 'tank' before you start.

The recommended amount is about 8 to 10g/kg of body weight, so someone weighing 70kg needs about 700g of carbs a day. That's a lot, actually quite difficult to eat all that, and that's why a lot of people use carbo-loading drinks to help them. These are not a bad idea, you might look into it. Diet wise, it's choices like pastas, rice, potatoes.

Just be careful that you don't eat fat instead of carbs, because that often happens - people think pizza is high carb, when it's actually high fat. And also, don't change your diet drastically, because you'll quickly end up with stomach problems.

Good luck!

Posted by: 42 yrs marathon runner | 2009-09-23

For a diet, I really would suggest that you see a dietician, because one can' t just recommend what foods to eat over the internet - one size does not fit all. So you have to be careful, and eat only what works best for you. So I really would suggest that you see a dietician.

I will be running, hope to see you there and GGOD LUCK...

Reply to 42 yrs marathon runner