Question
Posted by: LJ | 2009/10/22

Circumcision and UTIs

Hi Doc. My wife has a terrible burden of constantly recurring UTIs. She has been to various doctors, and specialists and it' s just nog going away. She also constatnly struggles with yeast infections as a result of all the antibiotics, and has recently also developed colitis as a result of the antibiotics. It' s really bad and she even had to go on anti-deppros as a result. We have found a book by Angela Killmartin which has a lot of really good tips in it - things like basic hygiene and prevention measures. Hopefuly somthing in the book works for my wife. One of the things Angela advocates is circumsision to help with hygiene issues. Do you agree with her on this issue? Is there any change that me getting cut will help my wife at all? I have always opposed the idea of getting cut, and I have always been impeccable with hygiene " down there" . We both use Gynea-guard soap, which seems to be helping a bit.

Thanks!

Dear LJ
If you are keeping it clean under the foreskin and wash before you have sex there is no reason to have a circumcision and it won't make a difference in the incidence of infections your wife gets. Recurrent urinary infections in women can be due to a stone lodged in the tract somewhere ( so did she have a sonar of the kidneys and bladder?) or urine lying in the bladder because the bladder does not empty properly ( so did she have a urinary systogram to see if the bladder empty properly) or due to a narrowed urethra ( so did they look into the bladder with a systoscopy?)
It may help to take preventative cranberry tablets or juice, or to use a preventative antisepticum like Furadantin as chronic medication. She should take probiotics daily to keep the level of unhealthy bacteria in the gut down. If she is in her menopause she should also use a bit of esterogen cream on the urethra opening.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/22

Dear LJ

Reply to cyberdoc