Posted by: Shelley | 2013-02-01

My son is 16 months and he has got an infection under his foreskin. I have been given antibiotics and a cream for him but the doc said he looks like he is one of the few that has a non retractable foreskin and he will definately need a circumcision.

I am okay with this as we wanted to get it done when he was born but we were told we could not unless it was for a medical reason. The doc said we have to wait until he is 2 to 2 and a half years old as the risk of putting him under is greater under the age of 2.

I am concerned about healing time and the pain factor. Please can you give me some information on this?

A circumcision will be indicated if he has a tight foreskin that can not be pulled over the glans. If the infection is not clearing up, you will have to consult your doctor to have the procedure done. Kids heal very quickly and depending on the type of procedure performed, they can recover well within a week. If he has severe pain, you can use Voltaren suppositries to alleviate the pain and inflammation.