Posted by: Philani | 2009-06-17

Circuit Training for weight loss

Hi Fitness Doc,

Thanks a lot!!! I used to weigh about 91kg 6 months ago, and with your advise of combining strenght and cardio training now I weight about 76kg, with Body Fat % of 15,7% and a height of 1.71m (therefore BMI of 26 - overweight). I need to loose a few more kgs and tone my body.

I' m thinking of starting cicurt training as time is becoming a hindrance for me. I am planning on 3 circuit training sessions a week and 2 cardio (running).

Please advise if this would be appropriate and also do I need to do a bit of cardio before circuit?

Hi Philani

Good for you - don't thank me, you're the one doing the hard work, so well done!

Circuit training is a good way to fit a session into limited time, and so that seems a good option. Obviously, it's a shame you have to change a winning recipe, but sometimes practical things do get in the way.

In terms of how to do this, I'd say start off with 2 circuit days a week, not necessarily three, and leave yourself three cardio days. There's no reason to change that too much, and cardio is going to be important for you to lose those last kilograms.

I'd try to do a little bit of cardio before, depends on your time. If you have 15 minutes, then yes, 15 minutes of cardio before you start the circuit would be well spent. Then again, you might choose to do 10 minutes of cardio, and squeeze in 5 minutes of weight work say on two muscle groups each time. For example, you might do biceps and triceps one day (in addition to the circuit), and quads and calves the next.

Good luck!