Question
Posted by: MJ Marx | 2011/01/14

Circuit training for kids

I am of the opinion that circuit training for my 12 year old boy will have no negative effect. Virgin Active differs from me. I received a call from them stating that it will stunt his growth. This is contrary to all material that I have read on the issue

Please advise

Hi MJ

I'm on your side - circuit training will be safe. The notion that he'd have stunted growth is outdated, maybe an artefact from the days when the eastern bloc countries used to train their children so hard that this happened.

But if the training is sensible, then it's fine. Sensible means not overdoing the weight, it means making sure he recovers from one day to the next, and not training too hard. The biggest risk is injury, not stunted growth.

So you're right, I hope you can convince them of this.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/21

Hi MJ

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Turkish | 2011/01/17

get your kid to play school sports, that is more than enuff. Stop trying to be too mature for your age.

Reply to Turkish