Posted by: Sandy | 2009-01-27

Ciprofloxacin and pregnancy

I have just recoverd from a bad case of tonsillitis. The doctor prescribed amoxicillin (Amoclan 1g) initially, but this had no effect so I was put on Ciprofloxacin 500mg as it became worse. I am late with my period and am worried that I might be pregnant. I have heard that antibiotics can have a very negative impact on the development of the fetus. I understand that I would have to confirm that I am pregnant first, but as we are not near a doctor at present, I would just like to get some more informartion.

There have been some reports of joint problems in animals with this antibiotic, but no real substantial problems in humans, though there is not a great deal of data. Do a pregnancy test before worrying any further.