Posted by: Lynne | 2012-12-06

Good day. I am a 33 year old women and my question relates to medication. I am currently using metformin, clift and lipogen. On the 18th october I ruptured my left achilles tendon. I had the operation on the 6th november and am now starting slight weight bearing. The doctor noticed a little blister on my wound today when I went for my check up. He prescibed ciproflaxacin, I have not taken this that I can remember. When I was in hospital I received cindimycin. I have read horrific stories of cipro being dangerous especially for the achilles tendon. Can you please advise on this concern, thanks

I am unaware that ciproflaxacin will cause or aggrevate achilles tendon pathology. If the medication was prescribed by your orthopaedic surgeon, I am sure that it will be safe to use. The blister is most likely the site of infection and has to be treated, as the infection can spread and this will definately cause poor healing of the achiles tendon.