Posted by: Jen | 2008-12-04

Ciprobay generic and side-effects

Hi, I am currently taking a 5-day course of Ciprofloxacin to treat a serious bladder infection. I also took a 3-day course of Cirpobay a few months back for a kidney infection. (I try not to take antibiotics unless really necessary...haven' t had them in years)

Since taking Ciprofloxacin my moods have altered to a point where I am paranoid, confused, slightly depressed, stressed and moody at times. I think it' s due to this antibiotic because I am naturally a happy laidback person.

I have also developed a few red bumps around my body which were not there beforehand.

Would it be reasonable to assume that these are antibiotic side-effects? Also, would these side-effects have a lasting impact even after my course is finished?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Yes both are side effects of the ciprofloxacin - The bumps are relatively common (but if it gets any worse you'll have to phone the doctor as it may indicate an allergy to the antibiotic) while CNS effect are rare, but 'bout 1 in every 1000 experience symptoms similar to this.

These should clear once you discontinue the antibiotic. In future you may however need to ask for a different antibiotic.