Question
Posted by: Gesiggie | 2010/07/05

Cipralex: how do I come off it?

Hi there Doc,

I have been on Cipralex 5mg a day, for the past 6 months (I had open heart surgery Mar 2008 and got depression from that). I now think that I am much better and want to see how I''ll be without the CIiralex.

How do I go about it to start weaning myself? do I drink one day and skip the next?

Thank you.

This should have been explained to you by the doc prescribin Cipralex. And 6 months may be a little soon to start. The safest approach is to see again the psychiatrist who made the original diagnosis and prescribed the drug, for an assessment of whether this is the right time to come off the medicine ( if one stops it too soon, there's a real risk of the depression returning ) and then to discuss how mos smoothly to come off it, which depends on several factors which the prescriber ought to know.

1