Posted by: Bipo-girl | 2010-02-15

Cipralex and sexual dysfunction?

Subject: Side effects of Cipralex,coming off it.
Posted by: Bipo-girl | 15/2/2010

I want to know:
* What are sexual side effects of Cipralex
* If weight gain is associated with Cipralex

The reason for my questions, I'  ve had really serious issues surrounding sex with my partner of 4 years, ever since our break up 2 years ago. I had my first Major Depressive Episode (thats what my Psyciatrist called it), stayed off from work for no reason,left my partner (of then 2 years) and developed a high sex drive. I had a new sexual partner for whom I felt absolutely nothing, I just used him for the sex. Heavy abuse of alcohol during that period too. When I finally hit an all time low and realised what the hell I was doing,it was nearly too late.I didn'  t use protection with the partner,he had numerous partners and I didn'  t care if I fell pregnant or contracted Aids.Anyways, I seeked medical attention, as I have been on anti-depressants (Lily fluoxetine) since 16. I was referred and diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I am taking Cipralex,Lamictin,Wellbutrin SR and Urbanol on a difficult day. I don'  t know if my sexual dysfunction is Psychological,as I cannot forgive myself for that infidelity &  feel condemned (I come from a strict christian background) also because I think that I associate a high sex drive or very enjoyable sex with that period of my life, which I so desperately want to forget! My partner took me back and we are getting married in 2 months, but I hate having sex. I don'  t care about it and I feel like he is disgusting when he initiates it. I love him dearly, I'  m still in love with him like in the beginning and I love cuddling, I just hate sex or foreplay.

I saw my GP and told him about my concerns, and he suggest I leave Cipralex as he says it may be the cause of my low libido.
Its hard to leave it, I am really suffering!!!!

What do you think is wrong with me???!??! I feel like half a woman and it causes depression because I can'  t offer him what he deserves. I feel like dying or something, cause I'  m this horrible person.

All the antidepressants can cause sexual problem s, however so can depression itself, and certainty, as you have pointed out so can previous experience s with sex. The solution to your problem is not a new pill or a few lines of advice on a website. Your solution lies in psychotherapy to assist you in changing YOUR meaning of your previous experience s. See a therapist sooner rather than later – and not necessarely a sex therapist. Your sexual problem s are a symptom of a bigger problem.

Posted by: kratos | 2010-02-17

Firstly , depression in itself will lower your libido,and also SSRI antidepressants, i know this since my wife also has been diagnosed Clinically depressed, she too was on LILLY F for a while then changed to Trileptal and also Cilift , the thing is when we were first married Sex WAS GREAT but over the last 6-7 years her medication has not been working and also due to relationship issues the Sex WENT OUT THE DOOR we have recently undertaken sessions with a Shrink , and from what hs come out there there are deep seeded issues, Psychological " baggage"  that she has not dealt with caused by other people in her life and me which needs to be sorted out first ,in conjunction with her medication but i can say that the WELLBUTRIN XL 15O MG does work quiet well in lifting her mood

Reply to kratos