Question
Posted by: annette | 2010/01/18

cipralex and pregnancy

I am 6 weeks pregnant. Is it safe to use ' ' cipralex' ' , or must I rather stop it. Ive got a answer, just want your opinion to pls. Thanks

There's no good and quick answer to that, only the psychiarist who assessed you and prescribed the med can answer for sure. To be 100 % safe, one should avoid ALL avoidable meds, prescription or over-the-counter. But if one is significantly depressed enough to need an antidepressant, it is important to balance the real but not very high risk of taking the drug, with the real risk to the foetus of having a very severely depressed mother. If the specialist felt, on blance, that i was better to continue with an antidepressant, I'd prefer to use an older one than Cipralex, because such research as has been done on the relative safety of different antidepressants in pregnancy was done before Cipralex appeared on the scene

1