Question
Posted by: Worried | 2010/02/03

Cipralex and Melatonin

Hi , I have gad and am a terribe insomniac . I have recently started with cipralex and it is helping . I have also bought melotonin [ SOLAL brand ] . Can I take these two meds toghther .

Thank you Doc

I have no idea. The problem with combining prescription meds with over-the-counter meds, is that many of the remedies you can buy without prescription hide under the identity of "supplements" and evade proper assessment and documentqation, and hence are not properly tested for interactions wioth other drugs. And the manufacturers of proper drugs who already have to pay very large sums to test for safety of their products in relation to other prescription meds, are not motivated to spend more to check out the "supplements", too.
In some cases for chemical reasons one can predict potential problems. In others, one doesn't know.
Have you asked your pharmacist ? Have you asked the doc prescribing your Cipralex ? And have you done a google search on Cipralex and melatonin ?

1