Posted by: Purple | 2011-01-31

Cipralex and breastfeeding

I''ve been on Cipralex for nearly two years now (just a 10mg dose daily). I''m 6 months (25 weeks) pregnant at the moment and have remained on it during pregnancy on the advice of both the gynae and the GP and the psychologist. I must say that compared to my previous pregnancy where I was an emotional wreck and then got post natal depression, I feel great.
It took me a long time to find the right anti depressant for me, and this one does not make me put on weight or make me sleepy and I don''t seem to have any side effects on it (or at least I''m coping fine with any that do exist - so fine that I haven''t noticed them).

I''m going to be breastfeeding, and I just wanted to check that it is safe to use Cipralix while breastfeeding.
When I breastfed my son I was on Cilift while breastfeeding but I put on nearly 20kg in weight, which as soon as I went off it just melted off me and I returned to my normal weight.

If I have to change antidepressants to breastfeed, I will, but don''t really want to.

What effect will Cipralex have on milk supply and on baby?

Expert ImagePharmacist

As is the case with your pregnancy, your doctors will also have to make the decision whether to continue or discontinue either nursing or escitalopram (the active of cipralex) therapy, taking into account both the risks of escitalopram exposure to the infant and the benefits of escitalopram therapy for the mother - I tend to think that in your case it probably does, but your Gynea and even Paediatrician will have to assist with making this decision.

Based on the results of a small study, Escitalopram appear to have a low potential for causing adverse effects in breastfed infants.