Question
Posted by: Ginger | 2009-08-20

Cipralex &  pregnancy

I have been on cipralex for the past 2 months &  have been trying to get as much info on the drug as possible. I read that it is not safe to use in pregnancy, although if the mum needs it, then one may continue using it. i don' t intend planning on getting pregnant whilst on treatment, but I would like to know the effects on the foetus. What if one falls pregnant and during that 2-3 week period until one learns she is pregnant, she has used cipralex. What would happen to the foetus in this instance?

Is there an antidepressant that one can use when pregnant?

No manufacturer or marketer of drugs would want to claim they are safe in pregnancy ( even foodstuffs might hesitate to claim that ). Because things go wrong in some pregnancies, whether or not a drug is taken and actually, except in very gross and svere cases, doing the research to decide whether any particular problem in pregnancy or the foetus / child is more common in people taking this or that drug, let alone whether the drug might CAUSE the problem, is extremely had to do.
In some cases ( like Roccutane for acne ) we know there is a high risk, and you are even advised not to take it unless you use effective contraception, in that case. But otherwise, though it is wise not to choose to embark on a pregnancy while taking MOST drugs, the available evidence seems to be that most antidepressants are reasonably safe in pregnancy --- and remember, having a severe and untreated depression during pregnancy ALSO has risks to the mother and baby, so one has to weigh up comparative risks. Generally, a modern antidepressant, selected with knowledge by the doctor, should be safer than untreated depression.
OF course, antidepressants should in any caase only be used in definite severe depressons properly diagnosed. And remember I also recommend CBT ctherapy which is highly effective in Depression, and of course very safe in pregnancy.