Question
Posted by: Mum | 2010/02/02

Cipralex &  Ciplatrim

I have been on Cipralex for about 7 mths now. It definitely worked and I was feeling much better. Last mth my GP put me on Ciplatrim as I started to diet. She prescribed the cipralex to me as well. I did ask if there would be any side effects of taking these drugs together and she said no.

I have been very tired since starting the ciplatrim and have to say that I have also been feeling depressed again.

Please advise. Thank you.

I have no experience of combining these drugs, and have not heard of problems when combining them. But both work by afecting Serotonin levels, so maybe the combination might have more serotonin-related side effects than either on their own.
However, your doctor should never have prescribed the combination without having checked and bein confident that the combination is safe and shouldn't cause problems. I wouldn't expect the combination to worsen depression. Maybe your pharmacist will have heard more recently from the company producing these meds

1