Question
Posted by: Jen | 2010/01/08

Cipralex

Hi Dr.

I have recently been diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder and OCD. I have started treatment with a therapist and the phchiatrist prescribed me 10mg of Cipralex daily, which I have been taking for about 10 days now. My problem is that I am battling to sleep on Cipralex. I know that this is one of the side effect but do you have any idea how long this should last for? Will it be throughout the time that I am on Cipralex or will my body get used to it after a while?

Many thanks
Jen

There are other equally effective antidepressants which are more sedative, and which might not produce this side-effect in you. Most side-effects are at their maximum in the first 2 weeks, as your body adjusts to the presence of the drug. If the side-effect is still notable after 10 to 14 days, and distrssing, it is well worth discussing this with your psychiatrist - there are many alternatives mostly cheaper, and as likely to help with the problems you decribe

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/01/09

You don' t say whether you' re drinking the Cipralex in the morning, afternoon or evening. With meds that keep you awake like this, it' s better to take them in the morning. As I said - not sure whether this advice will help.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza