Question
Posted by: Ann | 2009/10/20

Cipralex

I have just been put on Cipralex for anxiety and OCD, I have been on it for just 6 days but have already started to feel a lot better.

My question is will this medication change my personality? I don' t want to become one of those over-confident, arrogant people which is why I resisted going on it for such a long time.

And lastly, can you drink alcohol on this medication and what is the impact. I enjoy a few glasses of wine every now and then.

NOmedication can change your personality. When we deal with people with utterly horrible personalities, we sometims wish this was possible. But no. Where depression changes how you express your personality, successful treatment of it can let you be yourself in your normal way again.
If you weren't cocky and arigant before you became depressed, no medicine can make you thus. In the same way, if you couldn't play the violin before this, you won't manage it now, either.
A little wine now and then probably won't be a problem. But some problems are possible if you drink more than a very little - you may become morem drunk than you expect, more than you usually would ; and beyond a minimum, alcohol reduced the antidepressant benefits of the drug, which is rather a waste.

2
Posted by: CP MOM | 2009/10/20

You are lucky it' s working so soon it took me 6 weeks!

CS is going to shoot me but here goes in anycase I' ve been on it for over 5 years and i' ve never changed by drinking habits.....

Reply to CP MOM