Question
Posted by: abc | 2008/06/19

Cipralex?

Hi, I'm going through a very difficult time at the moment, finding out my husband is having an affair, him telling me he wants a divorce and having nowhere to go. I've been prescribed 10mg Cipralex, but haven't started taking it. What I would like to know is, does it make you pick up weight? How long does it take for it to make you feel better? I have terrible depression and am suicidal at times, then I get so angry that I want to kick and scream. I don't know if things will ever get better.

See a counsellor ; medication alone cannot help you to deal with psychological and relationship problems. Cipralex is one of dozens of equally effective antidepressants, but one unaccountably currently fashionable among GPs and some psychiatrists. ALL of them may make some people gain weight, NONE of them does so in everyone who takes it. Things would probably get better even without treatment, if you stayed around long enough for it to happen, but they are likely to get better, and before too long, with proper treatment So I fully agree with"friend" about the value of talking treatment over chemicals in this sort of situation

2
Posted by: Friend | 2008/06/19

Just my pennies worth ABC? In my experience there is NO known anti-depressant out there which is going to cure cheating husbands, family or friends dying, losing your job, getting seriously ill, etc, etc.
There is not ONE A/D out there which I was not put on, over the years which cured me until one day a very, very smart doctor told me it was time for me to start some CBT (COGNITIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY)which starts to teach you, from A right through to Z how *badly* we react to bad life situations and how depressed that makes us, versus how different we *can* and *should* behave when awful people do bad things to us, when life is a real bi**h.
Pills, whatever they are called, might help, ever so slightly to 'kick start' the mental 'mo-jo' again but if you have not learnt how to deal with the business of living, of how to live with life and ALL of it's complexeties and challenges, then you will spend the rest of your life trying to find the perfect anti-depressant which just does not exist!

Get a base ball bat. Go out into the garden and smash your ex's favourtie garden chair. Get that wonderful sticky tape from the hard ware store which just NEVER comes off again and stick it all over the idiots windows - and oops, by mistake throw your pinkest, your reddest, most puce coloured T-shirt in with his white work shirts.
Hey, I am not trying to be mean here (or maybe a little?) - the point I am trying to make is that the more helpless you feel by the hurt and pain inflicted on you, the more depressed, alone and abused you will feel.
Let him feel a bit of the pain he caused you to feel, then take a Cipralex, go out with your girl friends for a nice night on the town, laugh, cry, do what you have to do but take your power back!

Reply to Friend
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/06/19

abc- I didn't pick up any weight from Cipralex. Kay

Reply to Kay in Gtown