Question
Posted by: Nancy | 2009/12/03

Ciplatrim vs Duromine

I have two children aged 1 and three. With my second pregnancy I developed " abdominal separation"  (a tear in the linea alba). It has to be fixed surgically, but I first have to reach my ideal weight.
After the pregnancy I gained 13kgs and my doctor now prescribed Duromine 30mg to help me lose the weight before surgery for the tear.
It is working well and I don not have any side effects. However, I have read about Ciplatrim and would like to know what is the difference between the two meds and alos how each works?
Thank you kindly

Dear Nancy
Duromine is a pharmacological product that is used as an appetite suppressant. The following side-effects can occur with Duromine (which contains phentermine as its active ingredient), as listed in my copy of MIMS: pulmonary hypertension, central nervous system effects including psychotic episodes and hallucinations, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, problems with urination, rash, impotence or changes in libido, facial oedema and blurred vision. Duromine is used together with a low-energy diet and exercise, but needs to be subscribed by a medical doctor who has to monitor the patient's progress. Ciplatrim and Reductil both contain sibutramine, which is a so-called serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor which causes appetite suppression and increases the resting metabolic rate (both processes that induce weightloss). These medications must also be prescribed by a medical dr. They can cause the following side-effects: chills, cardiovascular effects, gastrointestinal disturbances, central nervous system effects, sweating. If Duromine is working well for you then stick to it, but remember that all these weightloss medications will only work if they are used together with an energy reduced diet and exercise.
Good luck with the op

1

Dear Nancy
Good luck with the op