Question
Posted by: Nondumiso | 2010/10/17

Ciplatrim

I''ve been on ciplatrim 4 3weeks now, i weight 113kg''s &  158 height. My appetite has been reduced, i drink lots of water &  exercise 3 times a week but have not lost any weight. My body retains alot of water &  at times can weigh up 2 118kg''s. I have my BP monitored regularly &  it is fine. Please advise on what i can please to loose weight.

Dear Nondumiso
If you are not losing any weight with Ciplatrim, exercise and retain a lot of water, then I would firstly recommend that you have thorough medical examination by a physician (ask your gp to refer you)to determine why you retain so much water. This could be due to kidney problems or an electrolyte imbalance. Ironically if you drink too much water every day you may be causing an imbalance in your electrolytes (sodium and potassium), which then causes water retention which will in turn make you weigh more even if you have actually lost fat mass. Do NOT drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid per day and this includes all liquids you may drink (water, bottled water, soda water, cold drinks, milk, fruit juice, coffee, tea, etc). Excessive liquid intake can be as harmful as too little liquid. Moderation is the key. With a BMI = 45,2 it is important for you to lose weight, so when you consult the physician ask this specialist to check if you don't have problems with your hormone (thyroid, insulin and/or female hormones such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)). If you should suffer from a hormone imbalance in addition to water retention and obesity then you may require medication (thyroid hormone replacement therapy like Eltroxin, or Glucophage to assist with insulin resistance or IR). It is essential for anyone with IR or diabetes to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, any medications that have been prescribed and other conditions such as overweight and water retention, into account when working out an individual diet prescription for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet'n Food' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
I hope you can identify what is hampering your weightloss and causing the water retention, so that you can start losing weight.

2
Posted by: Dee | 2010/10/18

There was an article on health 24 about reductil, i suggest that Nondumiso should read it.

Reply to Dee

Dear Nondumiso