Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2010/05/03

Ciplatrim

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June last year. I opted for a double mastectomy and I have had reconstructive surgery. I have finished my chemo but still busy with Herceptin treatment. Can I take Ciplatrim as I am now trying to loose weight

LAUREN

Dear Lauren
I am sorry to hear that you had breast cancer and have had a double mastectomy. According to the package insert, there have been no formal drug interaction studies performed to date with Herceptin, so there is no way of predicting how Ciplatrim (sibutramine) may or may not interact with this drug. Do NOT take Ciplatrim without discussing this step with the doctor who is treating you with Herceptin because recent studies indicate that Ciplatrim should not be taken by anyone with heart or circulatory problems. The package insert for Herceptin also mentions that this drug could have cardiovascular effects, so combining the two could be dangerous.
Rather combat the weight gain with a balanced low-fat slimming diet (consult a clinical dietitian - visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) and moderate exercise(if possible).
I hope you will soon be feeling much better

1

Dear Lauren