Question
Posted by: GP | 2010-02-05

Ciplatrim

I have a morbidly obese teen. other pathology excluded. would like to use ciplatrim. Advisable?

GP

It is not advisable to put teenagers on appetite suppressants, as it is detramental to the developing teenager. Rather consult a dietrician for a healthy balanced diet, as well as a biokeneticist for a strict exercise program and healthy daily activities. This is obviously not the answer you want but unfortunately the best option for healthy and sustained weight loss.

1
Posted by: Anon | 2010-02-07

I do not want to disagree with the doctor  I am also NOT a medical expert. However, I had an obese teen for years. We have tried everything, including dieticians (multiples) and strict exercises (biokineticists and personal trainers). It had made no difference.

My comment is just that we should stop looking at weight issues as ' n lifestyle issue. In many, if not most cases, there is a medical reason for the obesity. Therefore to look at eating plans and exercise is treating the symptoms not the cause.

My son was evaluated by a world class medical expert in obesity and it was found that he was severely insulin resistant. He had a gastric bypass operation at the end of last year and has lost close to 30 kg. He still has about 3 kg to go. This after years of trying and a lot of money.

My suggestion is to get in touch with an obesity expert - one who does see dieting and exercise as the answer to every weight issue.

Please note that I AM NOT A MEDICAL EXPERT, just a parent who has been battling with an obese child for more than 10 years.