Question
Posted by: Jerry | 2010/06/20

cinnamon and oats bran

I eat oats bran each day as I am told it helps regulate insulin.
For a similar reason, I add a spoon of cinnamon each day.
I think I read that some minerals are not well absorbed if taken with bran. Is cinnamon affected by this?

Dear Jerry
Thanks for letting me know about this question that arrived after I had already departed on my vacation. Foods which contain dietary fibre (wholewheat bread and cereals and legumes, as well as oats to a lesser extent), are rich in chemicals called phytates, which do interfere with the absorption of minerals (calcium, iron, zinc, etc), but the active ingredients in cinnamon which are called 'polyphenols' (also found in red wine, grape skins, etc) should not be affected by the phytates in oat bran. I don't know if you have read the article I wrote last year about the use of cinnamon for the regulation of insulin levels, but if you are interested, then click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a search with 'Cinnamon confusion' to find the article.

1

Dear Jerry