Posted by: Worried &  Depressed | 2009-01-19

Cilift does not seem to be working

I am 33. I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember, but have never used meds. On the 29th December 2008, after a very bad spell, my GP put me on 20mg Cilift / day. He said that it would take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to start working. After 2 weeks I felt even worse &  went back to him. On 13 January 2009 he increased it to 40mg / day. It is now exactly 7 days later &  I am still very depressed. I am cutting again &  thinking of suicide constantly.

Must I give the meds more time?

Any advice would be helpfull.

You need to discuss this urgently with your shrink, who should re-think the medication plan. Many people respond on 20 mg doses, quite a few need 40 mg, but one would think if you were going to respond, you'd have done so by now ; and there are numerous alternatives. And tell him/her about the cutting and suicidal thoughts