Question
Posted by: Mary | 2012-10-26

Cilift and Tripiline

Hi CyberShrink

After many months of feeling down and not sleeping well I eventually went to my GP for help. They prescribed Cilift (20mg /day) and Trepiline (10mg/day) for my sleeping problems.
I have since read that Trepiline is also an anti – depressant although often prescribed to people suffering with insomnia.
I am now just concerned about taking these two medications together and the possible side affects from doing so.
I drink both tablets at night.
Your advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Hi Mary. Shouldn't be a problem. Trepiline is an old antidepressant, and in most of us is really sedative. Used for depression it'd be in a much higher dose, and the side-effects through the day can be unpleasant. But using such a small dose at night should be able to help your sleep without the sorts of problems ( of potentially becoming dependent on them ) which can arise with meds used specifically as sleeping pills. Cilift is a good antidepressant, but not particularly sedative, so it may not cause you more side-effects by day. The combination should not cause problems.

1