Posted by: Father' s pain! | 2009-02-24

Cilift and Trepaline

Hi. My Daughter is 10 and staying with he mom in ZA. While visiting me this weekend I learned that my daughter is on Cilift and Trepaline. My daughter was never depressed nor in a bad mood. I do not communicate with my ex for the simple reason that she feel that my input is not worth to be taken into account. 1. Why would a doctor subscribe these medicines? 2. Is it really needed for a 10yr old to take this stuff? I love my daughter to bits and am beyond concerned.

I shae your puzzlement. It has become clear that children can and do suffer from significant Depression, and may then need treatment with such drugs ( though the combination would be most unusual even then ). Some of the older antidepressants ( Cilift is not one of those ) can be used at times to help treat bed-wetting. I don't know of a reason for using this combination of drugs in a girl of 10. Do you see her often enough to feel sure she has not perhaps been seriously depressed before starting this treatment ?

Posted by: Father' s Pain | 2009-02-26

Hi Doc and GP. Some background info…  My daughter used to stay with me, and in October my ex decided that she is becoming a teen girl and she needs her mom (a single sided decision) - This I only found out later, because she did not make her intentions known. My daughter where then kept in ZA, while on a weekend break in ZA, during the beginning of December, and I was called to tell me that she (my daughter) does not want to come back, to stay with me. I asked my daughter, during a telephone conversation  if this is what she really wanted and she said “ yes”  (she was 9yr old at the time). I did not detest her mothers decision, because she has custody and it was a grant to me to have my daughter living with me. In January I received a call to inform me that my daughter was in Hospital and had a severe anxiety attack. I asked my ex for a report but she told me today that the doctor said that she does not give reports. I took the liberty to e-mail the doctor (today) to ask for a report (and am willing to pay for it). Will see what come from it though. There are different ways to diagnose depression, besides only describing the symptoms verbally. There are other tests that solicit information indirectly. If my daughter was depressed, there are different ways of handling it, including psychotherapy or counseling or parent consultations that one might use before prescribing medication. What do you recommend I do to stop this (i.e. taking of medicine)? Have I even got a point here? Keep in mind my ex don’ t take my words into account.

Reply to Father&#39 s Pain
Posted by: GP | 2009-02-25

Did you ask your daughter why she is taking the meds? Or perhaps you could phone her Dr. to find out why she is on this meds. Otherwise the best would be to ask your ex. You need to speak to your ex, for the sake of your daughter, You are the father and I am sure you have a right to know why your 10 year old is on such meds.
As a mother I certainly understand your concern.

Reply to GP