Posted by: nd | 2009-03-18

Hi guys

I was diagnosed with major depression and dysthymia on Monday. The doc started me on cilift. I am currently taking half a tablet at night before going to bed.

I would just like to know for how many hours it remains in your system before the effects start wearing off.

Aspirin or paracetamol works the way you are picturing this. You swallow a tablet, it gets absorbed, and within a relatively short period of time, it does it's thing and tyour pain feels better. Such drugs then get vroken down into inactive bits, and/or excreted and removed from the body and stop working, so one needs another dose in around 4 hours to maintain the effect.
It's not the same with a drug like Cilift and other antidepressants. You need to take them as prescribed ( and it sounds like your doc is starting you at a low dose, so there should be few if many side-effects while your body gets used to it, and then he would need to raise the dose to normal and effective levels fairly soon. With such drugs, we need to take them in their usual doses for weeks before they gradually produce their full benefits, and at least 2 weeks before the benefits are likely to be obvious, though you may notice improvements earlier than that. They produce their effects by gradually changing the levels of certain important chemicals within the relevant parts of the brain. SO one needs to take each dose, let the effects and benefits accumulate, and then remain on these meds for at least 6 to 9 months before one then would come off them gradually, and hopefully then remain not depressed.
So, if you took half a Cilift a day, even fo a few days, and then stopped, there would not yet have been any noticeable effects to wear off.