Posted by: Zoo Boi | 2009-04-29

I know there is a major debate regarding circumcisions. Yesterday, i went to a urologist because of a painful problem i have. I apparantly suffer from Phimosis due to excess foreskin. The doctor said that the only lasting solution he can offer me is cicumcision.

Although i would have prefered to be cicumcised earlier, i am now stressed about it. How would it look ( i do tend to form ugly scars) will all sexual functions be normal afterwards? How long does it take to heal properly that i can safely engage in sexual encounters? Will it change things between me and my boyfriend?

I dont know, i just feel stressed about it because i dont know what to expect.

Any advice will be apreciated

Dear Zoo Boi
All sexual functions will be normal after a circumcision. It is unlikely that it will leave scarring as it is thin skin that is removed and I have never seen ugly scarring after a circumcision developing. It may take a week to 10 days to heal properly and should not change things between you and your boyfriend in the long term. It should be done by a specialist (urologist) if possible. We don't use devices for adults in South Africa. You only get about 4 stitches so don't worry if it looks as if there are open areas between the stitches - it should be like that. The doctor will give you ointment on the areas with gauze wrapped around the penis until it heals
Look at the picture of adult circum on this webpage: