Posted by: Mel | 2011-11-28

chronic voice loss

I am 37 years old. When i was 9 years old I was dignosed with Hashimotos thyroditis. In the past year I have lost my voice about seven times ( the voice loss is total), whicj lasts for a period of about a week. i have been to my Gp who put me on cortasone, i dont want to keep having to go on treatment of cortasone. Could this have any thing to do with my Thyroid.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mel

With your history there may be an association on the basis of hypothyroidism and voice changes, but this may be purely incidental. You will need to see an ENT for a laryngoscopy, to evaluate the status of your larynx under direct vision. Your thyroid function must be checked, and if necessary, treated. I agree that chronic treatment with cortisone should be avoided if possible, but a full examination will guide your treatment plan.
Arrange to see an ENT, your GP can refer you.