Question
Posted by: miekie | 2010/07/28

chronic pain, please help

Good day dr.
How do I cope with chronic pain daily without using meds. I have a heart condition ( severe blocked arteries, angina) and fybromyalgia. I can''t use any anti-inflammatory meds. and I don''t want to become a druggie. I have tried Cymbalta with severe reactions. Currently I am on Lexamil 20 mg daily and Urbanol 10mg 3x. Age 45, and desperate for solutions. Please help.

Good morning ! I wonder if there is a pain clinic near you - in this country there is a great need for multi-disciplinary pain clinics. I used to help run one in Durban, but I think it closed some time after I left it. Similarly, though there are some docs with a special interest in pain management, there aren't enough and they're not easy to find. Some are neurologists. Some work with hospices or the cancer association, but often are not used to dealing with chronic benign pain.
There are many cocktails and combinations of meds that can help pain, including some of the older antidepressants ( though one has to consider that some of these don't go well with heart problems ) - I haven't seen good evidence on the much mroe recently released Cymbalta being useful in chroic pain, though it may be so.
Another route to go would be to work with a good clinical psychologist, especially one with behaviour therapy / CBT experience, who can help you develop stronger ways of controlling and responding to pain using your mind itself.

3
Posted by: Zamani | 2010/07/28

in addition to what Roxy indicted above (i agree), also try to take a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with warm water every morning. this is very good for the heart, do your reseach by googling it.

regards

Reply to Zamani
Posted by: Roxy | 2010/07/28

TRy Omega 3 fatty acids - high doses. There is somne research that it helps with cholesterol and circulation problems, as well as with inflammation and conditions like fibromyalgia.
Good luck!

Reply to Roxy