Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2009/12/17

Chronic pain in upper abdomen

Dear CyberDoc,

I have been experiencing chronic pain in my upper abdomen that goes through my stomach, ribs and back on both sides. The pain generally occures at night and the pain wakes me up. At first I thought it was chronic indigestion but no indigestion meds help. It was happening everytime I ate biltong, about 4 - 5 hours after eating it so I stopped eating it. Then it happened again last night and I had chicken for dinner. The pain kept me awake from 12 - 2 am. I tried Buscopan, eno' s, Rennies eventually I took 4 Syndol with half a glass of my baby' s GRIPE WATER. I think the Syndol knocked me out. This pain is so chronic that it has me in tears. It doesn' t occure every night, only every other night... What could this be?

Hallo Mandy
This is very typical of a peptic ulcer - please ask your doctor to send you for a gastroscopy so that they can look into the stomach (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/gastroscopy.htm)
This is not painful and takes about 5 minutes, and most doctors give sedation so you don't even feel the procedure.
You may need long term treatment (6-8 weeks) of a medicine the suppresses the forming of stomach acid in your stomach. In some people this could be caused be a bacteria (H.pylori) and then your doctor will also give you some antibiotics to take. For the time being - try Mucaine for the pain - but don't take it the day before the gastroscopy otherwise they won't be able to see anything!

2
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/18

Hallo Mandy

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: Jay | 2009/12/17

Sounds like gallstone related. Please rather go see a doctor as it might get worse.

Reply to Jay