Posted by: korii | 2009-02-04

Chronic pain between shoulderblades

I have had a pain between shoulderblades for more than 10 years now. I' m a very traditional kind of man. We call this " eumbi"  in my language. I' ve tried all traditional treatments one can think of. From traditional Chinese massage and needles, the traditional Herero twins and needles. There is a belief that twins possess healing power. I' ve even tried traditional cleansing with goat blood and intestines, but to no avail. Funny of all, I have never even tried one tablet or pill or medicine from a pharmacy. Please help me. Anything exept deep heat and other massaging ointments. I have tried that as well. After a good massage, the pain will go. It' s not a pain as such it' s (ek voel alm tussen die blaaie), I can' t get the english word there, but it feels as if I have slept in a bad position for years and need to strech. Any rheumatic tablets or back pain tablet that you may suggest..................

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Korii,

the most important in any treatment is to first make a diagnosis. Cronic pain between the shoulder blades is usually caused by the little joints behind the vertebrae of the neck and this is called "facet syndrome". this can respond well to chiropractic or physio treatment . Anti inflammatory medication like Voltaren can also be of benefit.
It is important to have somebody examine you (like an Orthopedic surgeon) to verify the diagnosis.

Another cause of pain between the shoulder blades can be due to problems in the spine of the chest( thoracic spine) or even the lungs. Clearly it has to be examined properly to prescribe the correct treatment and also the make sure that it is not something serious

Dr Joe de Beer