Posted by: Annette | 2011-09-16

Chronic pain and immune system

Dear Dr Burger,
I have a very bad back  my first operation was a lumbar-sacral fusion and laminectomy at the age of 18. This op was not completely successful (the fusion disintegrated, but the laminectomy worked well) and I''m now booked for my third back op in November. I''m now 39 and have battled with chronic pain for the past couple of years, at the moment it''s really bad, but I''m biding my time till the operation, taking Tramacet three times daily.
I find that I get flu-like symptoms quite regularly. It never becomes full blown flu, just the aching joints, sore throat and chills for a day or two and then it goes, but comes back again two weeks later. I self medicate with Corenza C or paracetamol. It makes me wonder whether the chronic pain is having an effect on my immune system, since it lingers and I can''t seem to shake it. I eat very healthy and while exercising is a bit difficult I walk (more like shuffle at the moment!) regularly. The vitamin market is just insane, just look at the masses of pills available at Clicks for example and I''m not sure if the cheap brands are even effective. Could you advise me on this please?
Many thanks :-)

Severe pain causes stress on the body and this in turn will lower your immune system. Try adding Trepilene 10 to 25mg at night before bedtime. This can really make a difference in your pain level. You can also supplement with Vitamin C, Selenium and Zinc to assist with your immune system.