Question
Posted by: Keen | 2012/08/21

Chronic pain and depression

Hi doc

I''m 35 male. Have hypertension and suffer from interstitial cystitis. The pain from the IC became so unbearable that my GP sent me to a pain specialist. Well, I was put on trepeline 75mg and Lyrica 300mg. It caused a tremendous reduction in the pain (after I''ve suffered for 5 years and several urologists unable to help me). I also take Tramacet for breakthrough pain if needed.

Now the problem is that my depression has worsoned and I''m too scared to tell the doctor. I have a pdoc that I saw about two years ago and I''m thinking about seeing him again. I have suicidal thoughts and my mood is very depressive. I know I have a lot to be thankful for.

My GP did a few weeks ago so I''m a bit stranded (he was the one who walked my road with me through all the pain).

I''m just scared my psychiatrist might admit me to a clinic for treatment.

What should I do?

Please, please, don't ever be "scared" to tell any doctor when you have depression or when it worsens - please tell your doctor and discuss tghis with him.
Many antidepressant meds are not only helpful in depression itself, but also help chronic pain problems, maybe in doses not enough to seriously help a significant depression. DO see the p-doc again, and be frank and tell him all the problems you have been experiencing. You may need a larger dose of a different AD for your depression, and maybe some CBT-style counselling as well. Sorry you lost a good GP, but fo get another one, for whatever you need such help for.
Tell your psychiarist everything - its unlikely he will want to admit you to a clinic if you two can make a better plan. Proper treatment of depression doesn't necessarily need admission.
If he thought a temporary admission would help to keep you safe while the treatment started working, he might recommend that and you should then discuss this with him, considering the benefits and whatever your concerns are about possible admission. DOn't deny yourself treatment you need and which will benefit you, because of such a fear.
And do feel free to come back on this forum and let us know how your treament is proceeding.

1