Question
Posted by: Sanet | 2012-09-16

Chronic Pain

I am 39 years old and in the past year developed problems with pain. Initially it was just my neck and back, and I had facet blocks and Rhyzotomies done by a pain specialist. My pain during the day has improved and I don''t have the muscle spasms any longer. But, in the last 3 months I wake up in the morning with severe body aches. My back and spine hurts as well as my hips. When I eventually get going it resolves again. Except for minor pain during the day sometimes. My sleep is affected because I wake up with the pain and I can''t get going in the mornings where I was at the office at 6am last year I barely make it by 7:30. And then I''m pushing myself to get going. I know if I get up and move the pain subsides. Is this early stages of Arthritis? My back and neck X Rays did not show anything except that my thoracic spine in growing osteophytes. I do get pain there, but it is relieved by pain killers. Should I go onto a low dose of anti inflammatories? Or what supplement do you suggest? I was given Lyrica when I had the severe back and neck pain but the pain specialist said it only works for nerve pain. I still have some left, must I try it? I''m really frustrated, because it is affecting my work performance and quality of life

Sanet

You should definately consult a rheumatologist. Osteoarthritis is known to present with severe morning stiffness and relief as you get going during the day. Unfortunately, there is a wide variety of arthritic conditions and the spesific type will have to be determined by a specialist. I doubt that supplementation with multivitamins etc, will give you adequate relief. Lyrica is used for nerve pain and if you feel that part of your pain is nerve related, you can definately start taking it again. In the interim, you can use Coxflam to alleviate the pain. This is available over the counter at pharmacies.

1
Posted by: desperado | 2012-09-18

Oh yes I know what you are talking about.
I have Ankolysing spondolytis (google it and read about it)
It''s almost like arthritis but different and it mainly affects your muscles in your back and especially your hips and back of your pelvic area.
They picked mine up with a blood test.

I drink celebrex morning and night wich somewhat relieve the pain.
Also cataflam works wonders but it''s a bit hectic on your stomach.
I also find that eating the right diet helps with slowing the inflammation process

Good luck I know it can be very painfull tiring and depressing.

I''m also with a rheumatologist and they definately help with right medication.

Reply to desperado